Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Taking the Path to Personal Growth


When you stand still, you reject the struggle, and you refuse to change and grow. Ultimately, you reject fulfillment, happiness, the dance for joy and everything else that is eternally good.

- Matthew Kelly, classical actor and game show host

Action is the only way anything ever gets done. Sitting around and waiting for life to happen to you will only guarantee one thing: that you're not going to end up with a life you love. By waiting, you can react to what's tossed your way and nothing more. It's easy to take a passive approach to life without taking chances. It's easy to fall into a rut and do the same things the same way all the time. Change is sometimes hard, but it's change that will reveal all the wonders that life has to offer. You can break out of your set ways by taking action. Try doing the same thing a different way. Jump in with both feet and learn something new. Ask a friend to teach you a skill they're good at. Grow as a person and your world grows with you. Sparkpeople.com (healthy reflection 11/16/08)

Rejecting the struggle--for many years I was an expert at this! I thought I was rejecting what didn't want. Life eventually threw me three hard balls in a row. The last one knocked me out. The only way to get back up was to change. And learning to embrace change saved my sanity.

When I first hired a life coach, he would give me a challenge, and I would reply, "I don't know if this is REALLY what I want to work towards." His reply was, "It doesn't have to be your final goal, but taking any action is better than none. Even if it helps you decide what you don't want to do."

I often felt paralyzed to decide what I wanted and how to get there. Baby steps. When I thought of different options, I began to listen to my intuition. I learned to feel the reaction in my body, and choose the one that would light me up the most.

My second coach helped me think up ways to be accountable to myself. One day she said to me "It's your ___n life! Ask for what you want and need." That became a new mantra for me. It's my ___n life. I get to decide what I want in it! If you have a desire to make changes in your life, it IS possible. Take action now and adjust as you go. Embrace change--Take action--Life is not set in stone--it's ever changing and evolving.

And hey, hire a coach if you need one! They want what you want for yourself and will help YOU take action to get it.

No comments: