Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Everyone can teach you something

"Listen to all, plucking a feather from every passing goose, but follow no one absolutely. Chinese proverb

Possible mentors and teachers can be found everywhere and anywhere. Everyone you've met today has something they could teach you--a skill, a bit of wisdom, or a personal secret to success. All you have to do is look for it and ask plenty of questions. Most of all, respect the fact that each person has something of value to offer. If you can't find one "feather" to pluck from someone, you're not looking hard enough. Yet, in the end, you still have to think for yourself. It's still your job to take the knowledge you gain and turn it into your own value system for solid decision-making. It's still up to you to use your skills to carve a unique path in the world. So when night comes, those feathers can make a nice soft pillow that lets you rest your head in peace.
" sparkpeople.com-healthy reflections

Everyone from our inner circle to those in our external surroundings (home, school, job, community, or world) can offer us something to learn from. Write down the names of some of your closets friends or colleagues. Quickly jot a few key items about them that
make them great. What do they add to your life? Which of these items would you like to embody more often? Persistence, grace, balance, organization, honesty, clear communication, and action are a few that come to my mind. Often we dismiss the value of what someone may be able to add to our lives through superficial scrutiny. A colleague at work may be quiet and seems to sit back waiting for instructions instead of asking what they can do and you've judged them as not adding to the positive work environment. Do they come to work on time daily? Do they do whatever is asked of them reliably? Maybe they need a role model or someone to gently guide them along on what is expected of them. Do they always speak positively about others and not gossip? Is there something you can pluck out here? Take the time to get to know them better. Is it possible they are just shy until they really get to know others? Maybe they are unsure of where they fit in and don't want to "over-step" their bounds. So look hard, be curious about what makes them tick and you may just learn something new.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful blog

Coach T.I.A said...

A wonderful reminder that we all have something special to share with the world and all we have to do is look deep and long enough to find the spirit within. Glad to found your site on the Coaching Blogs contest. Cheers! Tia

Angie said...

Love the proverb, and you are so right! Everyone does have something to teach us.
When I became a mom I had all these big plans about all the things I was going to teach my kids. HOWEVER, I have learned more about myself from them, then I had in my entire life previously. What a gift!

Marian Kerr said...

Great article. An English teacher unlocked my love of words and writing when she told me she believed in me. I had held back a comment in class about a poem that no-one else seemed to like or understand. Once I voiced my (unpopular) opinion her face lit up as she realised I had seen into the depths of emotion that the writer was seeking to express. This opened up a whole new world for me and I draw on that encouragement still.