Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Take the Leap--Believe In Yourself




Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.- John Wooden, Hall of Fame college basketball coach

"Limitations can either define us or give us a challenge to outwit. When you look at your abilities, do you see boundaries and limits, or do you see possibilities and potential? Obsessing about weaknesses can blind us to the untapped abilities we already have. You have talent. Everyone does. The secret to success is to find that talent, develop it and push it as far as you can. Grandma Moses might have been a lousy bowler, Einstein probably couldn't sing a lick, Michelangelo could've been unable to speak well in public. So what? They knew what they were good at and rode that pony. Your talent might be right in front of you: where do you get the most compliments? What seems to come easily to you? What do people ask your advice for? Live there. Don't let the rest get in the way." (From http://sparkpeople.com/ healthy reflections)

First, admit it--you have strengths! We all have something we are good at. Acknowledge them. If you can't think of what they are, ask your friends to tell you. Then, share this with others--leverage it to your advantage. Does this mean forget about trying other stuff? Learning a new skill that will takes us to a new level? NEVER! But our insecurities get the best of us now and then and even get in our way, telling us, I've got to work harder, longer, later. I need to be perfect/or at least REALLY good, or others will see me for the fraud that I am. I've never done this before--what if I fail? OK-What if? What's the worst that can happen or better yet, the best if we step out on the ledge with nervous anticipation in a new learning experience?

Will people see a fraud, or someone willing to take a risk/grow and learn while sharing their strengths with the world? Setting the bar for those who come after you or walking along side of you. I am thankful for the opportunity to work with so many knowledgeable others while on my own journey who teach me that we all have something to learn. What are the possibilities that we can be come good, even great at something we have no experience in now?

I want to learn to trust the journey--to allow for my greatness....It will always bring me exactly where I need to BE.

Your turn, "I want to learn ............because it will bring me........."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We should trust our personal journey