Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Living according to your true values

I have always thought the actions of men the best interpreters of their thoughts.

- John Locke, philosopher


The best intentions matter little if your daily life doesn't reflect those values. How can you make sure that your thoughts and actions match? Good or bad, your values are shaped by your actions just as much as they do the shaping. Actions that are true to your values build a stronger personal foundation that others can see. Why are the memories of our greatest personal and public heroes so powerful and timeless, long after they're gone? They stood for something. They were living, breathing examples of the values they prized. It takes courage, a belief in yourself and strong determination. But it can be done. Do one thing today that shows the world what you believe. Do one thing that you know is right. Do one thing that would make your hero smile. Sparkpeople.com

A huge shift in my life happened when I clarified my values and decided to live in alignment with them. Things I wanted started falling into place. I got more of what I wanted, things seemed to "flow" more easily. My fears about life's uncertainties lessened tremendously. Without fear standing in the way, I was able to ask for what I wanted more easily (not in a "gimme" kind of way), but in a respectful gracious way. Acting from a place of honesty and grace--being the change I wished to see--made me realize that everyone just wants to get their needs met. It doesn't means someone else is right or wrong---more or less. They just are.

No comments: