Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The destructive power of worry


Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength.

- Corrie Ten Boom, author and human rights activist

Legend has it that 90% of what we worry about never comes to pass. Whether that is statistically precise or not, there's probably some truth to it in your life. How much of our lives do we miss because we're agonizing over what might happen down the road? How often do we fail to act--even if it's the right thing to do--because we fear any number of possible consequences? Fretting over the future doesn't solve any impending problems. It only paralyzes your actions of the present. It stresses you out, makes you mentally and physically tired, and saps all the fun out of what could have been another great day. Next time you start to worry about what might happen, think of this: You can prepare, but you cannot predict. So do what you can and forget what you cannot.
Sparkpeople.com

So often we "assume" to know what someone else is thinking, will do, or what his/her motivations are. Most of the time we are projecting what we think and believe. We get all worked up over something said, let stuff get in our head and eat away at us. Just for a moment, think what it would be like if there were no ulterior motives, no reason behind the action or words other than a flat out observation of what is. Right now in this moment. Reality.

Recently, I made a simple conversation into a, "it's all about me". What I thought was going to happen, what I wanted to happen or not happen, and how dare ___ even think that. Ha! In my head, machinations twisted me around like crazy. I complained to all my best friends about it. They worried and checked in on my mental state. Guess what?--it wasn't about me at all. It never was. Damn! Suckered in to the black hole again.

Step back--Stay in the light. Be totally present. Make no assumptions. Love what is.

No comments: